What can you do to support your child’s learning with Spelling?
- Support your child to learn their spellings at home each week.
- Children in Year 2 and upwards should be using letter names to spell their spelling words, so please encourage children to use the letter names.
- Discuss the spelling rules that are used each week in the spelling lists and ask your child to explain the rules to you.
- Can your child apply the spelling rule to other words?
- Can they add words that fit the spelling rule?
- If you child receives a red spelling score in a test, repracitse the words they got wrong in the test over the coming week as well as their new spelling words.
- Play games like snap, matching pairs or bingo with their spelling words, to make learning fun.
- Display the words they are finding tricky in your home, maybe as a password on a door as each time they pass it they have to spell the word.
- Ask your child to spell the words whilst climbing the stair or walking to school. Also when getting dressed for school – fitting practising spellings into everyday routine will help to fit it in each day.
- If you have any questions then just ask the teacher for support.
Here are some ‘Spelling Challenge Booklets’ to help: