The PE and Sport Premium is government funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of the PE, physical activity and sport offered by schools. It is allocated directly to schools so they have the flexibility to use it in the way that works best for their pupils.
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of their physical education (PE), physical activity and sport.
This means that you should use the premium to:
- develop or add to the PE, physical activity and sport that your school provides
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
Schools should use the premium to secure improvements in the following 5 key indicators:
- Engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PEand sport,
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
Raising attainment in primary school swimming
Swimming is a national curriculum requirement and by the end of key stage 2 pupils are expected to be able to swim confidently and know how to be safe in and around water. The 3 national curriculum requirements for swimming and water safety are to:
- swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- perform a safe self-rescue in different water based situations
- use a range of strokes effectively
SWIMMING DATA CAN BE FOUND IN THE 'SPORTS PREMIUM' ATTACHMENT.